Mexican beers occupy an important slice of the U.S. market, and in the spring of 2016 Anheuser-Busch decided to go after a share by marketing the Mexican brand Estrella Jalisco. It chose the Los Angeles area for its pilot launch. Ben Cline, a Manager of Behavioral Insights for Anheuser, needed data and insights into how Estrella was faring in its limited initial rollout, to guide decisions about how Anheuser should proceed with a wider launch.
It was especially important to get insights into convenience store shoppers. In the company’s research experience, it could expect to obtain only about 10% of its survey responses from c-store buyers – barely a fifth of the proven real traffic. Anheuser needed to explore the convenience store channel far more accurately in order to maximize its chances for success as it introduced Estrella Jalisco to U.S. beer shoppers.
Click on the video to see Cline talk about the Estrella c-store study, and other advantages Anheuser has gained from its ongoing working relationship with MFour. To contextualize the video, here’s an overview of how the mobile geolocation c-store beer study was conducted.
- MFour already had geofenced hundreds of convenience stores in the Los Angeles area where Estrella was being launched.
- Members of the proprietary panel who use MFour’s Surveys On The Go® mobile research app were geolocated as they entered and exited any of the c-stores under study.
- Just as they left the store, these consumers received push notifications asking them to take a survey on their phones. MFour geolocation studies typically elicit a 50% response rate in one day.
- Anheuser-Busch obtained in-the-moment insights into how its new brand and those of its competitors were perceived by beer shoppers at convenience stores.
- Mobile data arrived much faster and closer to the shopping experience than any other survey method would allow.
- With recall bias all but eliminated, Anheuser was able to proceed with confidence in the data that would inform important decisions about the new beer brand’s wider rollout.
For a productive talk about how advanced mobile app survey technology combined with an engaged, highly consistent panel can fit your own specific research needs, just get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And for an entertaining video introduction to in-app mobile research, just click here.