It's summer, and MFour has the hottest market research app in the United States.
Our signature Surveys on the Go® app has spent 30 consecutive days ranked in the top 100 among lifestyle apps at both the iTunes App Store and Google Play.
As of Monday, Aug. 8, SOTG ranked 76th in the App Store and 89th in Google Play. The rankings are unmatched by any other survey app in the category.
The hot streak reflects four essential truths about mobile apps, says Michael Smith, MFour’s Chief Product Officer & Director of Panel.
- Smartphone users will not tolerate less-than-perfect app performance.
- Building an app that works properly requires laser-like focus and dedication over the long haul. Experience counts.
- The penalties for app imperfection are immediate and harsh: public humiliation from thumbs-down comments and bad ratings, followed by the guillotine – a tap on “delete.”
- Competition is fierce, and survey apps that aren’t backed by experienced software engineering teams devoted to advancing app technology, and operations teams who help research clients optimize mobile survey designs will be exposed and saddled with a reputation for unreliability.
“It all comes down to quality mobile survey designs,” Smith said. “If you have a slow, clunky, thoughtless app experience, you're not going to keep that app very long. MFour has committed the last five years to studying, developing and refining mobile survey design best practices."
MFour recognized early on that smartphones would dominate communications and information exchange. It has pioneered and continually advanced the all-mobile approach that has become the fastest-rising transformative force in market research as the dominance of mobile apps impels researchers to adjust after relying mainly on online surveys and panels.
Five more numbers help round out the story:
- 2011 – the year MFour debuted Surveys on the Go® as the first all-mobile survey app in the U.S.
- 1,000,000 – the milestone of active panelists using Surveys on the Go® that we passed this spring.
- 2,000 to 3,000 -- the number of new panelists joining each day.
- $0 – what MFour spends on advertising to attract panelists, because the unsolicited, word-of-mouth ratings and comments we get are all it takes.
- 4.5 out of 5 – the average rating users award Surveys on the Go® on the App Store and Google Play.
While we think all these particulars are interesting, you don't have to commit them to memory. All you have to do is check the rankings.